Adult Diagnosis

Our Information Line frequently receives calls from adults who suspect they may have Asperger Syndrome (AS) or High-Functioning Autism (HFA) and are looking for a diagnosis.

Gaining a diagnosis as an adult isn’t easy, especially as Asperger Syndrome isn’t widely heard of among GPs. The typical route for getting diagnosed is to visit your GP and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, preferably one with experience of diagnosing autism. If you are already seeing a specialist for other reasons, for example, a psychologist because you experience from depression, then you might wish to ask them about a referral instead.