Autism and Asperger Syndrome in Adults
Dr. Luke Beardon
Autism is still persistently viewed as a disorder or impairment, but this concept needs to be challenged. Written by a university lecturer with several years’ experience in the field, this helpful book presents an up-to-date overview of autism and Asperger syndrome. Dr Luke Beardon comments on the realities of adult life, including further and higher education, employment, dating and parenthood. Autism and Asperger Syndrome in Adults is written for autistic people, their families and friends, and all professionals interested in autism.
• terminology and what’s preferred
• common myths and stereotypes
• diagnosis and related issues
• tips for undiagnosed adults
• understanding the impact of autism on the individual
• sensory issues
• how an autistic person can manage the transition into adulthood
• friendships and intimate relationships
• the criminal justice system – what happens when autistic people break the law
In this sensitive and insightful book, Dr Luke Beardon asserts that there are many hugely intelligent, empathic, kind, caring, loyal and skilled autistic individuals – so it’s time to treat them as such.